Turning on a tap for clean water was not an option for many women in Pimpri-Chinchwad, India. Where water was available, it flowed for only three hours per day. While urbanization, rapid population growth and climate change put a significant toll on the city’s water supply; water network inefficiency, fragmented service delivery, and unequitable supply all contributed to greater scarcity of water.
In India where water is believed to have a spiritual cleansing power, an uninterrupted and potable tap water satisfies both physical and transcendental needs.
In 2012, the Cities Development Initiative for Asia (CDIA) helped Pimpri in designing a 24×7 water supply project to ensure continuous availability of clean water from the tap. The Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) used Yamuna Nagar area as its pilot site.
CDIA’s assistance in infrastructure project preparation has sparked a widespread transformation in the water supply provision of the city. In fact, the 24×7 project has already been rolled out to date to 40% of the population, while the remaining 60% are expected to be covered starting 2018.
“Before the project, water was supplied once in the morning, and once at night. Sometimes the pressure was low that filling my containers took forever. Water would spill while I carried the containers to my house and left me with almost nothing. Water got wasted. Now there is no such problem and I can fill my water containers whenever I need to,” – Bhavathi Devendr, Yamuna Nagar resident.
“Now we are getting very good water without contamination. Health is very important for us and we hope to have this kind of service always. Everybody should be getting water, 24×7!” – Varsha Motaghare, Yamuna Nagar resident.